How is Child Support Enforced in Wisconsin?

The Wisconsin Department of Children and Families (DCF) administers child support obligations in the Badger State. Although the DCF is very responsive to parental needs, it's often much faster to file an independent motion to enforce a child support order and collect back payments through family court, largely because this motion can allow you to take action on other matters, such as outstanding spousal support.

Support Enforcement Options in Wisconsin

Almost all divorce orders instruct the obligor (the person making support payments) to pay child support exclusively through the Department of Children and Families. Therefore, most Wisconsin judges only consider the DCF's payment record when reviewing delinquent accounts. If there is a shortfall, there are a number of enforcement tools available, including:

  • Income Withholding: Almost any delinquency triggers employer income withholding. Wisconsin has very strong income withholding laws, so employers may direct up to 65 percent[1] of an obligor's check to the obligee. If the obligor is self-employed, courts often require a large bond.
  • Interest: Wisconsin also has one of the highest interest rates (12 percent) in the country. This collection method is highly controversial and so not used as commonly as some others.
  • Payment Intercept: The state may redirect insurance payouts, tax refunds, inheritance receipts, and other payments destined for the obligor to the obligee.
  • Direct Punishment: There is a “deadbeat dad” list in Menomonee Falls, Brookfield, and other cities. In addition to suffering embarrassment, many people on this list have a hard time getting jobs or loans. Moreover, the state of Wisconsin suspends driver's licenses of some delinquent obligors.

All these remedies are available to both a government prosecutor assigned to the case and a private collection attorney. The big difference is that a prosecutor's client is the state and an attorney's client is the obligee. So, the government lawyer does what's best for the government, and an attorney does what's best for your family.

Wisconsin Child Support Service Contacts

Child Support Agency Phone Number Address
Milwaukee County (414) 615-2593 Courthouse, Room 101 901 North 9th Street Milwaukee, WI 53233
Dane County (608) 266-4031 City-County Building, Room 365 210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. Madison, WI 53703-3342
Waukesha County (414) 615-2586 Room AC 348 515 W. Moreland Blvd Waukesha, WI 53188
Outagamie County (920) 832-5058 Human Services Building 401 South Elm Street Appleton, WI 54911
Brown County (920) 448-4090 305 East Walnut Street, Room 450 P.O. Box 23600 Green Bay, WI 54305-3600
Winnebago County (920) 236-4780 415 Jackson Street, Room 140 P.O. Box 2808 Oshkosh, WI 54903
Didn't see your County? Visit the DCF website and select your location from the list.

References: [1]Income Withholding

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.

Child Support Articles & Frequent Questions

Three Simple Steps

Find out how simple the divorce process can be when you work with a law firm that puts you first. Book your consult today!




Book Your Consultation with Sterling Law Offices

Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Divorce & Family Law Client Reviews


3,280 Reviews
See all Reviews

"Thank you,for helping me with my case. My situation was complicated with a lot of emotions, attorney Trisha Festerling and Katy Eckhardt were both professional and well organized. Thank you for your time and effort in this matter, it made a world of difference with my situation.

Again your time and professionalism were greatly appreciated in this matter, I will highly recommend your services to anyone in need of a great attorney! Thank you again!"

- Flor R.
  Full Google Review

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.