If My Spouse Moved out of State, Does Wisconsin Still Have Jurisdiction Over Child Custody?

More than likely, Wisconsin still has jurisdiction over the case due to the stipulation having been made in a Wisconsin court. More than that, if it was a joint agreement made by both of you and approved by the court in Wisconsin then chances are it will be in Wisconsin. It is a discretionary matter overall, but it is most likely that Wisconsin will, in fact, maintain jurisdiction.

We can find a similar case in J.W. v. M.W.G. (In re Paternity of J.L.V.) 145 Wis. 2d 308, 426 N.W.2d 112 (Ct. App. 1988). Here, the father took the children by stipulation to Texas. The mother was to receive visitation. He also refused because he felt Wisconsin no longer held jurisdiction. The court ruled that they had jurisdiction. The father appealed, and the court of appeals affirmed.

For Immediate help with your family law case or answering any questions please call (262) 221-8123 now!

Book My Consult