– from Nicholas D. in Addison, WI

Question Details:

The trial court set my child support for $400 a month. I believe this is too much, can I appeal the decision and look to lower the support?

Family Law Attorney Response:

I would like to hear more details regarding your agreement so we can find a solution to your problem, but this question can go either way.

I need a few more details to better determine if an appeal is the best option for you. Support can change, however it was determined in Weidner v. W.G.N. (In re Paternity of B.W.S.) that the amount of child support is to the discretion of the trial court.

An appellate court will sustain a discretionary act if it finds that the trial court examined relevant facts, applied a proper standard of law, and using a rational process, reached a conclusion that a reasonable judge could reach.

Give me a call to discuss the details so we can see if an appeal is possible.

Dan Exner, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image