– from Roger W. in Genesee, WI

Question Details:

I was ordered to pay child support and have not made most of the payments. Is there any way I can have the arrearage removed from the case?

Family Law Attorney Response:

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, the courts are strict when it comes to child support and having payments removed from a person.

In the case Hirschfield v. Hirschfield, 118 Wis.2d 468, 347 N.W.2d 627 (Ct. App. 1984), it was decided that when a parent is ordered to pay child support, he cannot receive credits which allow him to avoid payments. There are few occurrences where child support can be expunged, mostly when there are accidental duplicate payments and if a child receives payment after the age of 18.

I hope this answers your question. If not, give me a call so we can discuss this in further detail.

Trisha Festerling, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image