Enforce Custody Orders in Wisconsin

If a parent is violating the agreed upon terms of the child custody agreement, that parent can be held in contempt of court and may face fines or jail time.

In some cases, the offending parent may also be required to reimburse for attorney fees and damages. Fines are more common than jail time as the violations often don't warrant such severe punishment. Not to mention that removing a parent from the child's life would go against their best interests.

You Will Need Proof – Document Everything!

If you're in a situation where there are repeated violations of your custody agreement, proper documentation detailing the violations is going to go a long way in helping your case.

The more details you can provide, the easier it will be for your attorney to make a case. Include dates, description of the circumstances, and any additional facts pertaining to the violation. If you have paperwork that backs up your claims, like a police report, make copies and provide them to your attorney.

Petition for a Guardian ad Litem

A Guardian Ad Litem, abbreviated GAL, is a special attorney who will represent an individual in court who is unable to represent him or herself. Often used to represent minors, a GAL may also represent infants or mentally handicapped or incompetent individuals. The GAL has no legal rights over the child and does not serve as a legal guardian.

The most common cases that may require a court-ordered GAL are child custody, child neglect and child abuse trials. Their sole responsibility is to advocate in the best interest of the individual they are representing.

Typically when parents can't find agreement on the custody and placement of a child, a GAL will be appointed for the child from the county. The GAL will act in an impartial manner to give a primary custody recommendation to the judge.


Can I Refuse to Let the Other Parent See the Children?

No, even if they owe for unpaid child support, custody and placement is a court order. However, certain situations, such as protecting the child from harm, might justify violating a court order. If you plan on violating the court order, it's recommended to speak to an attorney.

References: Contempt of Court

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.

Child Custody Articles & Frequent Questions

Three Simple Steps

Find out how simple the divorce process can be when you work with a law firm that puts you first. Book your consult today!




Book Your Consultation with Sterling Law Offices

Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Divorce & Family Law Client Reviews


3,280 Reviews
See all Reviews

"Thank you SterlingLawyers.com,for helping me with my case. My situation was complicated with a lot of emotions, attorney Trisha Festerling and Katy Eckhardt were both professional and well organized. Thank you for your time and effort in this matter, it made a world of difference with my situation.

Again your time and professionalism were greatly appreciated in this matter, I will highly recommend your services to anyone in need of a great attorney! Thank you again SterlingLawyers.com!"

- Flor R.
  Full Google Review

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.

(262) 221-8123