When Your Kids Take Sides

Your children are the parties who are greatly affected when you and your partner decide to get a divorce. No matter how much you try to make them understand the situation, they will usually withdraw from the family and invest more of their time with their friends.

 There is also a high tendency that they will take sides that may bring them away from you or closer to you. When this happens, what are the things that you need to do?

Relax and Talk to Them

Whether your children take your side or your ex-spouse's side, the right thing to do is to talk to them in a nice and calm manner. Do not try to convince them to choose between their mother and father. As much as possible, remind them that as parents, both of you love them with all your heart. Avoid speaking ill-fully of the other party. Instead, you should do everything that you can to keep their relationship with your ex smooth.

Seek For Professional Help

Children can become emotional during divorce. They may start to feel more fears and instability once they discover that their parents are finally going on separate ways. Worst things can happen like they will become rebellious or addicts. When these happen, do not hesitate to seek a professional help. Engage the services of a psychiatrist or psychologist to help them process their thoughts and emotions. If necessary, you need to also admit them to a rehabilitation center to ensure that they will be able to deal with the current situation in a safe manner.

When to Call a Lawyer

When your children take sides, it is not really necessary to call your family law attorney. However, if the other party is highly influential in causing the rift between you and your kids, then it is time to check your legal remedies with your attorney. Talk to him about what you can file in court or how you can deal with the current situation. Of course, always remember that it is recommended to settle issues or disputes with the other party amicably. This means that your preference must always be out of court agreements or settlements. In cases where your ex-partner is unwilling to make certain compromises, then seeking for the aid of judicial courts may be the right thing to do. Just inform your lawyer about your wants or needs.

References: Taking Sides

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.

Divorce Articles & Frequent Questions

Three Simple Steps

Find out how simple the divorce process can be when you work with a law firm that puts you first. Book your consult today!




Book Your Consultation with Sterling Law Offices

Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Divorce & Family Law Client Reviews


1,904 Reviews
See all Reviews

"Thank you SterlingLawyers.com,for helping me with my case. My situation was complicated with a lot of emotions, attorney Trisha Festerling and Katy Eckhardt were both professional and well organized. Thank you for your time and effort in this matter, it made a world of difference with my situation.

Again your time and professionalism were greatly appreciated in this matter, I will highly recommend your services to anyone in need of a great attorney! Thank you again SterlingLawyers.com!"

- Flor R.
  Full Google Review

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.