How to File for a Divorce If My Spouse Left the State?

In order to file a divorce you need your spouse back in the state. However, you cannot force your spouse to come back to the state in order to start the divorce. If your spouse decides that he/she wants to continue to see your children, then the divorce could happen and you would want to talk about the divorce with him/her.

In McCarthy v. McCarthy, 146 Wis.2d 510, 431 N.W.2d 706 (Ct. App. 1988), it was discussed that Wisconsin courts may exercise jurisdiction over a nonresident defendant if the defendant is engaged in substantial and not isolated activities' within Wisconsin. The court's inquiry into the nature of the defendant's activities must be made in light of due process.

References: McCarthy v. McCarthy, (1988)

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.

Divorce Articles & Frequent Questions

Three Simple Steps

Find out how simple the divorce process can be when you work with a law firm that puts you first. Book your consult today!




Book Your Consultation with Sterling Law Offices

Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Divorce & Family Law Client Reviews


3,280 Reviews
See all Reviews

"Thank you,for helping me with my case. My situation was complicated with a lot of emotions, attorney Trisha Festerling and Katy Eckhardt were both professional and well organized. Thank you for your time and effort in this matter, it made a world of difference with my situation.

Again your time and professionalism were greatly appreciated in this matter, I will highly recommend your services to anyone in need of a great attorney! Thank you again!"

- Flor R.
  Full Google Review

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.