– from Jeff H. in Cudahy, WI

Question Details:

I was recently in a car accident when someone else ran a red light and hit me. He was not insured, and I did not have under-insured motorist coverage. Obviously this does not help now, but in the event of a future incident I would like to be covered. What is and is not covered by under-insured motorist insurance?

Personal Injury Lawyer Response:

GREAT Question!!

When looking at auto insurance most personal injury lawyers would advise you to first be sure to have “COMPREHENSIVE” coverage. This will cover damage to your property and insure your vehicle will be repaired or replaced in the event you are in a car accident. The best minimum should be $50,000 in coverage.

The second thing to consider is “BODILY INJURY LIABILITY”. This type of coverage will pay for someone else's injuries if you are at fault in the accident. The minimum everyone should carry is at least $250,000. To be fully insured everyone should also have an umbrella that will raise coverage to one million dollars. A move from $30,000 of bodily injury liability coverage to $250,000 will only cost you about $12.50 per month, if you are not in a high risk group.

The last type of coverage to consider is “UNDER-INSURED/UNINSURED MOTORIST (UIM)”. When purchasing this type of coverage you should match the coverage you carry in bodily injury liability coverage. What this will do for you is cover you and your passengers in the event you are ever hit by an uninsured driver again. This coverage can also be used if the at fault driver does not carry enough insurance for bodily injuries.

Lawyer Jeff Hughes from Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Jeff Hughes, J.D.

Managing Partner

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image