– from Christopher B. in Oconomowoc, WI

Question Details:

When my wife and I went through our divorce, the court awarded placement of our son to me and ordered my wife to pay child support. A few years later, my son and I moved to Michigan. My wife then filed an order to terminate child support payments, as she was angry about the move. Currently my son and I have a vacation scheduled during the court date and I would rather not cancel it. How important is it that I show up to the court hearing?

Family Law Attorney Response:

If you can reschedule your vacation, I would make it a priority to arrive at your court date or look to reschedule the court date.

In the case of Horch v. Ponik, 132 Wis.2d 373, 392 N.W.2d 123 (Ct. App. 1986), a father tried to file a motion to stop paying child support and the mother failed to make the court date. As a result, the circuit court ruled in favor of the father. Eventually the case was reversed, however it is less costly and smarter to arrive at the original court date.

If you are in need of a family law attorney in Wisconsin for this case, give me a call and we can set up a telephone conference.

Trisha Festerling, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image