Finalizing Divorce with Financial Issues in Wisconsin | Sterling Law Offices, S.C. global $post;
Call for Immediate Assistance - (262) 221-8123 Book My Consult

 – from Margret P. in Fox Point, WI

Question Details:

I have been in the process for well over a year and just want it to be over! This divorce litigation has been going on for about 16 months and my former spouse is making this incredibly difficult to finalize. We’ve gone through depositions, he has subpoenaed business paper work, and filed numerous motions and so far he has found nothing against me. When it comes to our house, it was a gift from my father and his name is the one on the deed. Despite that information, he still lives in the house and has not paid a penny towards the mortgage or bills. Can I just get the divorced finalized so that I can move on and then settle the house after the divorce is over?

Family Law Attorney Response:

That is a really good question and I’m very happy you asked before jumping into a decision as serious as this one. Hopefully I can provide you with some advice that will allow you to move forward and make things a little less stressful for you as your divorce litigation wraps up.

To start, I don’t recommend finalizing the divorce without resolving the house issue.

What should you keep in mind when filing for divorce? Read this article to find out.

Unfortunately, finalizing the divorce isn’t going to eliminate the problem and you’ll still be left with the messy house situation. Another option to consider is asking the court to bifurcate the case. A bifurcated trial is when the courts separate the trial into segments. In your situation, it’s possible that it could be separated into two parts, the divorce and then the financial litigation. Bifurcated trials are not that common but it is something to consider.

Either way, I advise that you speak to a divorce attorney with knowledge and experience in divorce cases like yours so that you are receiving the best advice available. If I can be of any other assistance, please give us a call.

Lawyer Jeff Hughes from Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Jeff Hughes, J.D.

Managing Partner

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image