– from Donna J. in Greenfield, WI

Question Details:

My husband and I are going through a divorce. Our marriage lasted 11 years. We have three children, ages 10, 8, and 4. Before the marriage, I was a secretary for a short amount of time and received under $4,000 in the first year of marriage. I want to ask the court if I am allowed to stay at home while my children are young. Can I receive maintenance for a large period of time?

Family Law Attorney Response:

A judge can be understanding and knows how important it is to raise children well and be involved in their life. You may be eligible for spousal support.

In the case of Hartung v. Hartung 102 Wis.2d 58, 306 N.W.2d 16 (1981), the court allowed a parent to stay at home as being a stay-at-home parent is regarded as a full time job, even if there is potential for income and education.

I would like to hear more details regarding your old income and maintenance requested to the court. Contact me so we can further discuss these ideas and give you a chance to have your request fulfilled.

Lawyer Jeff Hughes from Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Jeff Hughes, J.D.

Managing Partner

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image