When Your Spouse Doesn't Have a Divorce Lawyer

The first thing to do is to look for a good lawyer who can represent you in all your claims. An effective and efficient attorney can help you come up with the groundwork of the divorce case.

The assistance of a family attorney is highly needed when it comes to divorce cases. These types of cases are quite sensitive especially that not only the rights of the parties are affected but also the children during their marriages. With this type of arrangement, you may be surprised that the other party will participate in the case without a lawyer.

What Is the Effect If The Other Spouse Is Without a Lawyer?

You may be wondering if your soon-to-be ex spouse is legally allowed to participate in the case without the assistance of his or her lawyer. Well, under our jurisdiction, he or she can represent himself or herself without the need of an attorney. The effect of this in your case is that there is a possibility that it may take a long time before the court can issue a resolution or decision with respect to the divorce. The reason behind the possible delay is that there are more requirements that must be complied with when an attorney does not represent the other party.

How Can You Deal With This?

Avoid being sympathetic upon knowing that your ex will not be having any representative during the divorce case. Remember why you have decided to separate from him or her. The best thing that you can do now is to talk to your lawyer and discuss the possible remedies that you can take. Always consider the legal advice of your lawyer before making a decision especially those that can have a great effect in your case.

How Will Your Ex Defend Himself or Herself?

With the latest advancement in technology, your ex will not have a difficult time in finding resources online that provide information about divorce, child custody, alimony and child support. Thus, there is still a need to be cautious on your part as you may be blindsided by the other party thinking that he or she does not have a lawyer. Always put into consideration your best interests before making a move. At the same time, you may also consider an out-of-court settlement with the other spouse depending on the other party's willingness to participate.

For Immediate help with your family law case or answering any questions please call (262) 221-8123 now!

Book My Consult