Can I Change a Divorce Stipulation?

You can. In fact, you may be entitled to property or pension benefits. The decision to vacate or modify a pre-existing stipulation will ultimately depend on many factors.

There are many ways this could play out. In the case of Gerhardt v. Estate of Moore 150 Wis. 2d 563, 441 N.W.2d 734 (1989),[1] as an example, the child's case was initially dismissed by the circuit court. Upon review by the supreme court, the decision was reversed, granting the child the child support requested and full ownership of the father's pension benefits.

We can look to other cases to assist us in assessing the value of certain circumstances by finding similar situational outcomes, but there are no definite answers. Only probable outcomes. For your case, we can find some similarities in Norman v. Norman, 117 Wis. 2d 80, 342 N.W.2d 780 (Ct. App. 1983).[2] In this instance both parties had entered into a stipulation that was approved by the family court commissioner. The wife had changed her mind, and the judge found the stipulation was reasonable and fair. Upon appeal, the decision was reversed and she did not have to abide by the stipulation. This was based on the grounds that an entered stipulation is merely a recommendation to the court, and does not stand in regards to a contract.

With these types of situations is is recommended to have legal representation as you go through issues of family law.

References: [1]Gerhardt v. Estate of Moore, [2]Norman v. Norman

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.

Divorce Articles & Frequent Questions

Three Simple Steps

Find out how simple the divorce process can be when you work with a law firm that puts you first. Book your consult today!




Book Your Consultation with Sterling Law Offices

Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Divorce & Family Law Client Reviews


3,280 Reviews
See all Reviews

"Thank you,for helping me with my case. My situation was complicated with a lot of emotions, attorney Trisha Festerling and Katy Eckhardt were both professional and well organized. Thank you for your time and effort in this matter, it made a world of difference with my situation.

Again your time and professionalism were greatly appreciated in this matter, I will highly recommend your services to anyone in need of a great attorney! Thank you again!"

- Flor R.
  Full Google Review

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.