Illinois Divorce: Frequently Asked Questions
Find the answers to the most frequently asked questions our clients have about divorce and family law in the state.
General divorce and pre-divorce questions to help you better understand the process.
- Is adultery illegal in Illinois?
- What are the qualifications for annulment in Illinois?
- What is collaborative divorce in IL?
- What's the difference between legal separation and divorce in Illinois?
- Is there common law marriage in Illinois?
- How much is a divorce in Illinois?
- Do I need a lawyer to get a divorce in IL?
- How do I file for divorce in IL?
- What forms do I need?
- How long does it take to get a divorce in Illinois?
- How long does it take to get a marriage license in Illinois?
- What is mediation?
- What is an uncontested divorce in Illinois?
Child Custody Articles & Frequent Questions
- How does joint custody work in the state?
- When can child custody be modified in IL?
- Can I change my child's last name without permission in Illinois?
- Who decides child custody in IL?
- Can a non-parent get custody in IL?
- Can grandparents get visitation rights in IL?
- When is a parent considered unfit in IL?
- How to courts determine child custody in Illinois?