Terminate Illinois Alimony Orders

Stop spousal support orders when spouses remarry or financial circumstances change

terminate illinois alimony orders

As life goes on, our circumstances change, so an arrangement made two or three years ago might not be relevant to you now. This is especially true of a spousal support (alimony) order. While sometimes it is the best decision to modify an existing spousal support order (alimony), other times it is necessary to seek to terminate it all together. When paying spousal support, financial assistance from one party to another in a divorce, the ultimate goal is to help the lesser-earning spouse achieve financial independence. Therefore, when the support is no longer needed it logically should be stopped and a motion to terminate the support order should be filed.

Terminate Spousal Support During Remarriage

In Illinois, if an ex-spouse remarries the payer is no longer obligated to continue paying support. This termination of payment happens from the time of a marriage ceremony, even if the couple isn’t legally married at that time. To start this process, a motion to modify support and petitioning the court to terminate the support order must be made.

Terminate Spousal Support if Ex-Spouse Moves in with Significant Other

This one is a little bit tricky legally. If an ex-spouse enters into a de-facto husband-and-wife relationship, albeit not legally, with another adult by moving in with them then there are grounds for terminating continued payments. However, that relationship has nothing to do with sexual relations or feelings. Instead, the court wants to see that the two are taking significant steps towards building a life together.

Terminate Spousal Support During Significant Financial Changes

The main reason to pay support is to help your ex-spouse get on their feet financially. However, if your ex-spouse is suddenly employed, or is taking no steps to change their situation you may have grounds to stop the payments. For example, if the receiving spouse became suddenly and unexpectedly employed, and is now making the same or more than you, the court may find the continued help your spousal support gives unnecessary. As with the other changes mentioned above, this would be accomplished by filing a motion to modify support with the court.

Book a Consult
Call for Immediate Assistance
(312) 757-8082
or fill out the form below to book a consult.

Get Answers from Top Rated Attorneys

meet with a divorce attorney and get divorce advice

Get Legal Advice

Sit down with a top rated local attorney and discuss your case. The stress of the unknown can be resolved with just a phone call or a few clicks.

get divorce advice during divorce seminar

Attend a Seminar

Thinking about moving forward with a divorce or separation? Not sure where to start? Get a clear picture of your options by attending a seminar.

What our Clients are Saying

"Thank you Sterling Law Offices, for helping me with my case. My situation was complicated with a lot of emotions, attorney Trisha Festerling and Katy Eckhardt were both professional and well organized. Thank you for your time and effort in this matter, it made a world of difference with my situation. Again your time and professionalism were greatly appreciated in this matter, I will highly recommend your services to anyone in need of a great attorney! Thank you again Sterling Law Offices!"

Flor R.

Full Google+ Review

Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Average Rating

4.4 Out of 5
Based on 558 Reviews
star ratingstar ratingstar ratingstar ratinginterface
See all Reviews

We are Always Here to Help

divorce law firm member Kelley Shaw

Kelley S.

Client Advocate

divorce law firm paralegal Nancy Stanton

Nancy S.


Lynne B.

Client Advocate

Have a question? Get in touch today.

Schedule an Attorney Consult

BBB Rated Sterling Law Offices - Top divorce lawyer
SuperLawyers Sterling Law Offices - Top divorce attorney
AVVO Rated Sterling Law Offices - Best divorce attorneys