What Is the Best Way to Give Proper Notice of Divorce?

It is important to give someone proper notice of a legal action. If proper notice is not applied, a judge cannot have proper personal jurisdiction over a party. The best way to provide proper notice is in person. You can also pay a sheriff to notify someone through a summons. However, if your spouse is in jail the process of notifying them would be a little different.

However, if you cannot give someone a notice of divorce in person because you cannot reach them but you are aware of them being within a certain state or county, you can publish the summons in a newspaper that is easily accessible.

In the case of Emery v. Emery, 124 Wis.2d 613, 369 N.W.2d 728 (1985), a judge believed that if someone tells another he plans to come back to Wisconsin, and the moving around is only temporarily, it can be conceived posting a summons in a county publication is considered enough notice for personal jurisdiction.

References: Emery v. Emery, 124 Wis.2d 613, 369 N.W.2d 728 (1985)

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.

Divorce Articles & Frequent Questions

Three Simple Steps

Find out how simple the divorce process can be when you work with a law firm that puts you first. Book your consult today!




Book Your Consultation with Sterling Law Offices

Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Divorce & Family Law Client Reviews


3,280 Reviews
See all Reviews

"Thank you SterlingLawyers.com,for helping me with my case. My situation was complicated with a lot of emotions, attorney Trisha Festerling and Katy Eckhardt were both professional and well organized. Thank you for your time and effort in this matter, it made a world of difference with my situation.

Again your time and professionalism were greatly appreciated in this matter, I will highly recommend your services to anyone in need of a great attorney! Thank you again SterlingLawyers.com!"

- Flor R.
  Full Google Review

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.