Can a Court in Another State Impose Child Support on Me?

Yes they can, and for several reasons. How this would play out in court would depend on the specifics of your situation.

In the case of Louisiana ex rel. Eaton v. Leis, 120 Wis. 2d 271, 354 N.W.2d 209 (Ct. App. 1984), a father was awarded custody during a divorce in Wisconsin. Custody then reverted to the mother in Louisiana. She pursued child support from her state, and the father appeared in court in Wisconsin. The court concluded that it did not have subject matter jurisdiction due to its having gave custody to the father. The wife appealed, and the decision was reversed. Despite the confusion of vested authority on subject matter jurisdiction, the responsibility to pay support after a claim was filed lands on any non-custodial parent regardless of state.

References: Eaton v. Leis, (1984)

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.

Child Support Articles & Frequent Questions

Three Simple Steps

Find out how simple the divorce process can be when you work with a law firm that puts you first. Book your consult today!




Book Your Consultation with Sterling Law Offices

Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Divorce & Family Law Client Reviews


1,913 Reviews
See all Reviews

"Thank you,for helping me with my case. My situation was complicated with a lot of emotions, attorney Trisha Festerling and Katy Eckhardt were both professional and well organized. Thank you for your time and effort in this matter, it made a world of difference with my situation.

Again your time and professionalism were greatly appreciated in this matter, I will highly recommend your services to anyone in need of a great attorney! Thank you again!"

- Flor R.
  Full Google Review

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.