Dealing With Troublesome Stepparents

There can be several issues that may arise during divorce, especially if there are children involved as well as other third parties such as stepmothers or step siblings. It is important have a lawyer on stand-by if something happens.

When it comes to getting an absolute divorce decree in court, the assistance of a good divorce lawyer is needed. He or she will represent all your claims in court with respect to the promotion or protection of your rights.

Keeping Lawyer Close

It must be noted that you must keep a good relationship with your chosen lawyer as you may need his or her services in the future, even after the decree of absolute divorce has been issued. One of the most common problems that may arise under this kind of setup is the tension between one party, either the husband or the wife, and the other party's new family. For example, a particular stepmother may start to prevent the kids from seeing their other biological parent or refuse to support the said children.

Always Prefer Amicable Settlement

Issues arising between family members are just normal especially if the parents have decided to part ways. In cases when the stepmom of your children butts in and causes harm to you or your kids, the first thing that needs to be done is to talk to her. As much as possible, try to avoid hostile situations. However, if after trying to settle with the other party and she still continues her misdeeds to the kids, then it is probably time to seek for a judicial relief. To determine what are the possible cases that can be filed against her, talk to your lawyer.

Know When To Call Authorities

As a parent, your top concern is the safety of your kids. If you hear or see that their stepmother is abusing them, either physically or emotionally, make sure to call the help of the authorities. Inform your children to put your number on speed dial so they can call you immediately if something is wrong. This is very important especially if the custody is granted to your ex-wife or ex-husband. This means that the kids will live with your ex and his or her new partner. Know the right time when to seek for the help of the police authorities to keep your children safe at all times.

References: Custody and Placement

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.

Divorce Articles & Frequent Questions

Three Simple Steps

Find out how simple the divorce process can be when you work with a law firm that puts you first. Book your consult today!




Book Your Consultation with Sterling Law Offices

Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Divorce & Family Law Client Reviews


1,904 Reviews
See all Reviews

"Thank you,for helping me with my case. My situation was complicated with a lot of emotions, attorney Trisha Festerling and Katy Eckhardt were both professional and well organized. Thank you for your time and effort in this matter, it made a world of difference with my situation.

Again your time and professionalism were greatly appreciated in this matter, I will highly recommend your services to anyone in need of a great attorney! Thank you again!"

- Flor R.
  Full Google Review

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.