My Ex Won't Pick Up The Kids

Consider yourself lucky if your ex-husband or ex-wife is responsible enough to continue performing his or her parental obligations to the kids from your marriage even if you have already separated. However, if your former partner is irresponsible especially when it comes to dealing with the kids, then maybe it is about time that you talk to your custody lawyer.

A lot of adjustments are required during and even after divorce proceedings. There will be many changes in your life as well as the lives of your children. 

Kids Are Sensitive During Divorce

The most affected persons when a couple decides to get a divorce are the children. They are the ones who will wonder the most why their parents have decided to get a divorce. Because of their tender age, they will find it hard to understand the situation. This is the reason why divorcing parents should place more time and attention to their children. If possible, both of them should be able to discuss the consequences of the divorce. There is a need to use appropriate words and body language in order to convey the right messages or information to them.

How to Deal With Irresponsible Spouse

If your kids keep on hearing excuses from their father or mother why the latter failed to pick them up at school or at home, then make sure that you try to do things that will make them feel good. You do not have to talk bad about the other party in order to make the kids happy. Instead, it is highly recommended that you avoid talking negative things about the other party especially if the divorce proceedings are still on going.

As already mentioned above, kids are highly affected about the divorce which means that there is a high tendency that they become more sensitive about what they hear and feel. Try to protect their feelings by not adding to their confusion. You can do this by not giving any negative or ill comments about the other spouse.

Talk To a Professional

When it comes to cases involving children and divorce, it is important that you take it seriously. If you can see that your kids are greatly affected by the separation and the changes in their living arrangements or related set ups, the first thing that you need to do is to talk to them properly. However, if they are not willing to talk to you or if they find it hard to open up, you may consider hiring the services of a counselor or a therapist. These professionals can help your kids during this difficult phase in their lives. Meanwhile, you may also keep your communication with your attorney constant in order to guarantee that your rights and the interests of your kids will be protected against the other spouse.

References: Ex Ignoring Your Children During Parenting Time?


Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.

Divorce Articles & Frequent Questions

Three Simple Steps

Find out how simple the divorce process can be when you work with a law firm that puts you first. Book your consult today!




Book Your Consultation with Sterling Law Offices

Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Divorce & Family Law Client Reviews


1,904 Reviews
See all Reviews

"Thank you,for helping me with my case. My situation was complicated with a lot of emotions, attorney Trisha Festerling and Katy Eckhardt were both professional and well organized. Thank you for your time and effort in this matter, it made a world of difference with my situation.

Again your time and professionalism were greatly appreciated in this matter, I will highly recommend your services to anyone in need of a great attorney! Thank you again!"

- Flor R.
  Full Google Review

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.