How to Inform Kids About the Divorce

By building a more loving and caring relationship with the parents or having  a child psychologist are two great ways to help break the news that the parents are having a divorce.

The primary parties that will be affected by the spouses' decision to get a divorce are their children. These kids may not be able to understand the situation on why their parents have to resort to end the marital union. This is the reason why parents always have a difficulty in relaying the news about the breakup to their children. No one is ever prepared to find out that their mother and father are going on separate ways. Hence, parents must know the proper ways on how to inform their sons and daughters about the divorce.

A child psychologist can aid the spouses in talking to the children. The said professional can allow the kids to open up and share about their feelings regarding the divorce of their parents. Through the process of counseling, these children will learn how to control their emotions as well as manage the news concerning the family. It is important to note that children can get very emotional once they find out about the separation. Therefore, it would be best to hire the services of a psychologist.

Another way to deal with children during divorce proceedings is to encourage them to build a more loving and caring relationship with the parents. These kids must be able to feel that there is still intimacy in their personal relationships with each parent. By doing such, they will be able to realize that the divorce does not really severe their relationship with their mother or father. As a parent, you have the responsibility to make them feel comfortable. Address all their issues and fears so that they may become closer to you and eventually accept the divorce.

Take note that there is a need to discuss the living arrangements of the children. Talk to your ex-spouse on how are you going to agree with where the children will live. At the same time, it is also recommended to ask your children about their preferences. While their choice may not be controlling when it comes to deciding where they will live, it must be taken into consideration when you make the decision.

There is no problem if you can negotiate with your ex-wife or ex-husband peacefully. You can always enter into a compromise agreement with him or her concerning your children's support and custody. However, if it is not possible to talk to your ex-partner without encountering problems, you can seek for the assistance of a divorce attorney.

References: Informing Your Kids

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.

Divorce Articles & Frequent Questions

Three Simple Steps

Find out how simple the divorce process can be when you work with a law firm that puts you first. Book your consult today!




Book Your Consultation with Sterling Law Offices

Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Divorce & Family Law Client Reviews


1,904 Reviews
See all Reviews

"Thank you,for helping me with my case. My situation was complicated with a lot of emotions, attorney Trisha Festerling and Katy Eckhardt were both professional and well organized. Thank you for your time and effort in this matter, it made a world of difference with my situation.

Again your time and professionalism were greatly appreciated in this matter, I will highly recommend your services to anyone in need of a great attorney! Thank you again!"

- Flor R.
  Full Google Review

Call for Immediate Assistance (262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.