Paralegal / Legal Assistant (Madison, WI)
(Openings – 1)
Who you are: The successful Legal Assistant / Paralegal is someone that is detailed oriented, service driven and compassionate. This person enjoys working in a fast paced environment, is a team player and enjoys helping people at their core. The successful legal assistant at Sterling is self-motivated and embraces change. They enjoy working with others and care deeply about how their actions impact the work of their peers. They have strong computer skills and enjoy learning and navigating new systems. They can also type at least 35 wpm.
Why this role matters: This role has a direct impact on the clients we are called to serve. It is the responsibility of the Legal Assistant / Paralegal to serve their team of attorneys. They are the binding agent that enables an attorney to serve many clients with unmatched service. The Legal Assistant / Paralegal is also the main point of contact and face of the brand with the courthouse staff.
- Draft initial docs for e-filing (in proper form & updated content) including acquiring of hearing dates via TCs with Ct.
- Draft FCJs & Vital Statistics form.
- Draft FDS – beginning to end.
- QDROs – beginning to end.
- E-filing of any/all docs for an attorney.
- Calendaring of all hearings (new clients / existing clients – continuous updating from email notifications, etc.)
- Prepare Interrogatories & Request for Production of Documents .
- Prepare Answers to Interrogs & Requests (compile all documentation, scan, categorize, tag & draft the written responses & preparing copies per attorney instructions).
- Prepare Request for Pretrial: Certificate of Compliance-Request for Pretrial, Order for Pretrial-Order to Appear, FDS signed by the client, Declaration of Non-Military Service, Obtain Military Status Reports for each party, Letter to Ct, TC to acquire date, calendar date, Advise attorney, client & serve OP.
- Update attorneys with any/all changes in e-filing requirements.
- Client contact regarding mail – next steps.
- Opt into existing e-filed cases – request conversion to e-filing of older cases; Process payments.
- Prepare other documents for e-filing (Notice of Retainers, Request for GAL, etc.) all per attorney request/task.
- Follow-up communication to the client (updates, mail, new hearing dates, scheduling meetings with an attorney, etc.)
- Mail – review, prioritize, distribution to attorney & client (if instructed by the attorney) including calendar events, e-file returned/signed AoS, QCDs, etc.
- Prepare Quit Claim Deeds & electronic Real Estate Transfer Returns.
- Enter time & expenses
- Run CCAP calendar reports weekly (Monday morn) & compare with the attorney calendar; notify the attorney of any urgent issues; provide a report to each attorney.
- Prepare documents for Process Service, including ltr of instructions, details, pics, etc. TC to Process Server, follow-up until served & inform the attorney/client of same.
- Organize Opp & physical file: Ct. case #, participants, folders setup, correct county, Judge, OC, GAL, etc. (continue to update as more info is provided).
- Filing of the attorney's in/out box into physical files.
- Closing of files – review that the attorney has sent closing email, notes of any financial info that billing needs awareness to complete the closing process.
- Filing & Organizing the Physical File
- Mail Distribution
- Office Supply Ordering
- Fill paper in printers, change of printer cartridges when needed, add money to the postage meter, etc.
- High level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer skills; Microsoft Office
- Ability to work independently
- Strong organizational skills
- 1-3 years prior experience working in a law firm preferred
|Pay:||$19.50 – $27.00 per hour|
|Employment Type:||Full-Time w/Benefits|
|Job Type:||Client Service/Office Admin|
|Education Required:||Some College|
|Experience Required:||3+ years paralegal experience|
What will Sterling Law expect of me if I join the team?
We have five major expectations to be on our team:
- Finish with Integrity
We strive to finish every matter, interaction, engagement, deal, etc. to conclusion with integrity. This means that we should always be able to tell the whole story and not leave out a detail because we are ashamed.
- Compete with a Warrior Spirit
We are competitive, and we want to win in everything we do. We can’t always control the outcomes, but we can control our preparation and the intensity of how we compete. We do our best and take pride in the effort.
- Embrace and Drive Change
We accept that one of the certainties in life is change. We anticipate change and enact it before we are forced to accept it.
- Lead by Serving
The most effective leaders are servants first. We expect everyone on our team to model a spirit of humility and gratitude toward others. It’s only after we serve that we can expect to lead.
Join the Team
2810 Crossroads Dr #3100
Madison, WI 53718