Terminate Wisconsin Alimony Orders

Stop alimony orders when spouses remarry or financial circumstances change

terminate wisconsin alimony orders

Sometimes modifying alimony is the right path other times terminating the support order all together is possible. Alimony is financial assistance paid from one partner to the other, which recognizes a homemaker or the less-earning spouse's contribution to the marriage. It's also meant to help the recipient move toward financial independence. However, when it's no longer needed it should be terminated by filing a motion to terminate the support order.

Terminate Alimony during Remarriage
One of the most common instances of a support order being terminated is due to remarriage. In Wisconsin, if the recipient of support gets remarried or it can be proven the recipient is in a marriage-like arrangement (moved in, paying bills together, etc) the payor may seek to terminate the support order. This is accomplished by filing a motion to modify support and petitioning the court to terminate the support order based on the change in circumstances.


Terminate Alimony during Significant Financial Changes
Another reason we often see for a support order being terminated is a significant change in financial circumstances of the recipient. For instance, if a recipient goes from unemployed to employed and makes an equal amount or greater as the payor, the court may find such a significant change in financial circumstances enough to warrant a termination of the support order. This too would be accomplished by filing a motion to terminate support.

Book a Consult
Call for Immediate Assistance
(262) 221-8123
or fill out the form below to book a consult.

Get Answers from Top Rated Attorneys

meet with a divorce attorney and get divorce advice

Get Legal Advice

Sit down with a top rated local attorney and discuss your case. The stress of the unknown can be resolved with just a phone call or a few clicks.

get divorce advice during divorce seminar

Attend a Seminar

Thinking about moving forward with a divorce or separation? Not sure where to start? Get a clear picture of your options by attending a seminar.

What our Clients are Saying

"This past fall, I filed for divorce. My husband and I were in a situation where neither of us really needed a lawyer to sort things out, so I decided to file pro se. I was concerned about making a mistake in the paperwork and delaying the final separation, so I called Sterling Law. Attorney Festerling agreed to work w/me on a "consult only" basis, meaning she would answer my questions and review my documents, charging only for the time spent on those things. There would be no big legal fees incurred for her presence in court or for her time in filling out documents that I was capable of handling myself. She was kind and helpful, and our case went through without a hitch. The overall outlay was very reasonable. I was very happy with the help I received and felt confident going to the court date, knowing all our ducks were in a row. It was as good as an experience like this can be."

Beth E.

Full Google+ Review

Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Average Rating

4.4 Out of 5
Based on 558 Reviews
star ratingstar ratingstar ratingstar ratinginterface
See all Reviews

We are Always Here to Help

divorce law firm member Kelley Shaw

Kelley S.

Client Advocate

divorce law firm paralegal Nancy Stanton

Nancy S.


Family Law Firm Team Member Lynne

Lynne B.

Client Advocate

Have a question? Get in touch today.

Schedule an Attorney Consult!

Sterling Law Offices WISN A-List Finalists - Best Divorce Lawyers
BBB Rated Sterling Law Offices - Top divorce lawyer
SuperLawyers Sterling Law Offices - Top divorce attorney
AVVO Rated Sterling Law Offices - Best divorce attorneys
Call: (262) 221-8123