Wisconsin Collaborative Divorce
Avoid the courts, control the process, end your marriage amicably.
What's included when you hire Sterling Law Offices
- Clarity. You will get clarity on what to expect during the process and what your rights are under the law.
- Direction. You will get clear direction from your attorney and guidance based on what you are asking the court to give you.
- Support. Divorce is hard and dealing with the emotions of the divorce is not always easy. We will be a sounding board for you and help you face the challenges ahead.
- Privacy. You will get the security of attorney-client privilege so all information shared is protected.
- Everything Else.
- Preparing your petition for divorce (court filing fee included)
- Complete all necessary forms with your help
- Drafting settlement agreements
- Filing all forms and documents
- Completing your final divorce decree
What are the benefits of a collaborative divorce?
- Collaborative divorce is more affordable and simpler than litigation.
- It takes place out of court in an informal setting.
- You both get to voluntarily exchange information.
- Negotiate a settlement agreement that works for you both.
- You can decide now how to handle post-settlement disputes.
- You'll save time. A 2010 IACPstudy show 58% of collaborative divorces concluded in 8 months compared to 12-18 months for a traditional divorce.
Why Collaborative Divorce Works in Wisconsin
Written Pledge NOT to go to Court
Before beginning the collaborative process, each spouse will hire a certified collaborative divorce attorney. Together you and your attorney build a team of certified collaborative professionals as determined by the circumstances of the case. After finding your collaborative attorney the first agreement you and your spouse sign is one that states you will not go to court. Rather you and your spouse agree to work diligently to resolve the issues outside of court together.
Both Attorneys Will STOP Representing Clients if the Written Pledge is Broken
Both side's attorneys, child specialists, therapists and financial advisors also sign the pledge not to court. If this written pledge is broken all professionals involved in the case promise to STOP representing both clients. This is part of the process because it protects the integrity of the process. If the pledge is broken both spouses will need to start from scratch. This aspect of the process on the part of the professionals is a significant and absolute component to collaborative divorce.
Open Exchange of Information between Parties
Another part of collaborative divorce is that both sides agree to open, honest, and voluntary disclosure of all financial and relevant information. This allows all parties to proceed in good faith as they continue with their negotiations toward a final agreement. Since information is openly available, formal litigation tactics, such as discovery, depositions, and written interrogatories are unnecessary. This also means attorneys are working collaboratively rather than argumentatively, saving time and money in the process.
Best Interests of ALL Family Members at the Center
The collaborative divorce process requires the best interests of all the family members to be kept at the center of the agreement. This means keeping the best interests of the children at the center of the agreement at all times instead of fighting. This means considering what placement schedules work best for each spouse involved to maximize each other's time with the child.
Custody & Placement
Get Answers from Top Rated Attorneys
Get Legal Advice
Sit down with a top rated local attorney and discuss your case. The stress of the unknown can be resolved with just a phone call or a few clicks.
Attend a Seminar
Thinking about moving forward with a divorce or separation? Not sure where to start? Get a clear picture of your options by attending a seminar.
What our Clients are Saying
"Thank you Sterling Law Offices, for helping me with my case. My situation was complicated with a lot of emotions, attorney Trisha Festerling and Katy Eckhardt were both professional and well organized. Thank you for your time and effort in this matter, it made a world of difference with my situation. Again your time and professionalism were greatly appreciated in this matter, I will highly recommend your services to anyone in need of a great attorney! Thank you again Sterling Law Offices!"Flor R.
We are Always Here to Help