– from David V. in Waukesha, WI

Question Details:

When my wife and I initially filed for a divorce, I was awarded full custody and placement of our three children. Now, one of our daughters wants to live with her mother, which is something both of us agreed too. However, if this happens would I have to pay child support? My ex-wife is a waitress and does not have a large income.

Family Law Attorney Response:

Thank you for your question. While it is not completely certain, there is a chance support payments would be required.

In the case Abel v. Johnson, 135 Wis.2d 219, 400 N.W.2d 22 (Ct. App. 1986), the court decided that a change in physical placement impacts the financial needs and abilities of both parties. The family court’s analysis of evidence shows its discretionary determination to award support.

Give me a call so we can discuss your financial situation and see what a strong next step is for you.

Trisha Festerling, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image