– from Edward I. in Oak Creek, WI

Question Details:

I am contesting a portion of my divorce judgment pertaining to child support and custody. I feel the courts are making a mistake in their judgment. Do I have the right to bring a hired court reporter to document my case in court?

Family Law Attorney Response:

You can bring a hired court reporter to document your proceeding, yes. However, the court does hold the authority to limit what the reporter can record if the court feels it is in some way hindering the hearing.

Click here to learn the most appropriate way to dress for a court hearing.

In the case of Forsythe v. Family Court Comm’r 131 Wis. 2d 322, 388 N.W.2d 580 (1986), a man had hired a court reporter to document his hearing. The court ordered certain portions of the case remain undocumented by penalty of contempt.

My advice is to consult with an attorney before recording a child custody case.

Dan Exner, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image