– from Charles S. in Sussex, WI

Question Details:

My now ex-wife and I got divorced without lawyers and I do not agree with the court’s final decision on the division of our property. I want to appeal it, but I want to know the appeal will be worthwhile. What must I prove in order to have a strong case?

Family Law Attorney Response:

Thank you for your question.

According to the court of appeals in Peerenboom v. Peerenboom, 147 Wis.2d 547, 433 N.W.2d 282 (Ct. App. 1988), in order to have a strong appeals claim on property division, the party challenging the division must establish that the court made a mistake of fact, an error in computation, or that the award is inappropriate to the parties’ circumstances.

Give me a call if you have any other questions or wish to set up a consultation for your property division appeal.

Dan Exner, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image