– from Greg W. in Jackson, WI
I was walking in downtown Milwaukee and was hit in a cross walk near Veterans Park by the lake. I want to file a personal injury claim as I have medical bills and PT as a result of the accident. I do not know where to start the process. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Personal Injury Lawyer Response:
Glad to help. More facts are needed from this car accident, such as a police report, witness reports, and the drivers ticket (if they received one). To start there are some general guidelines to improve your chances of recovering compensation.
- Avoid making statements to the driver’s insurance company. Adjusters are paid to minimize claims and will use anything you say to effectively reduce payouts.
- Seek prompt medical care and keep copies of all your medical bills.
- Keep track of time you missed work. If you are missing work, ensure a doctor is signing off on the missed work days.
- If you choose, hire an attorney to represent you. A personal injury lawyer will only charge you if you win your case.
- NEVER settle your case until you are fully recovered.
- There is a time frame required to file a claim. The two year statue of limitations will run out if a claim is not filed.
Hope this helps. Good luck.