– from Paul A. in Polk, WI

Question Details:

I’m planning on moving soon in order to be closer to work and decrease my daily commute. I would only be moving about 10-15 miles, which is maybe 20-25 minutes away depending on traffic. I would still be staying within the county I currently reside. If my ex-wife and I share joint custody of our son, can my ex object to the move and take me to court?

Family Law Attorney Response:

” Thank you for bringing this question up, it is a very common situation that divorced parents are often faced with. First of all, you are doing the right thing by doing your research first and asking these sorts of questions before the move. Moving without taking the necessary steps could have a dramatic effect on your child custody rights.

Learn about changing a minor's last name here. 

To answer your question, I would need to know more about the terms of your custody judgment. In most cases, the court treats all cases with the child’s best interest in mind. If you are confident that the move will not jeopardize your child’s interest, moving probably wouldn’t hurt. With that being said, I still recommend you contact a family law attorney before you sign any leases or agree to make the move. Talk to the attorney, explain your situation, and bring your divorce judgment paperwork with you for reference. “