– from Craig P. in Franklin, WI

Question Details:

I am currently paying child support, however I am not completely sure I will be able to pay off the remaining two years of the support. Am I still required to pay for support after my son turns 18?

Family Law Attorney Response:

Thank you for your question.

Your query was discussed in Griffin v. Reeve, 141 Wis.2d 669, 416 N.W.2d 612 (1987). In Griffin, the father did not want to pay any more support because his child surpassed 18. However, the court did not allow this. While the court may not modify or terminate the support order after the child reaches majority, the force of the order does not expire until the parent complies. A parent’s failure to pay child support after the child reaches majority is a continuing disobedience of a court order.

Give me a call if you have any more questions.

Lawyer Holly Mullin from Sterling Law Offices
Holly Mullin, J.D.
Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image