– from Michelle Q. in Mukwonago, WI

Question Details:

Things aren't going well in our marriage. Can we just call it quits, or does one of us have to prove the other party violated the marriage agreement before we can get a divorce?

Family Law Attorney Response:

This is a good question as each state in America handles this differently.

Wisconsin is a no-fault divorce state, which means neither party needs to prove the other party failed to live up to the marriage agreement. As such, a divorce will be granted as long as both parties agree the marriage is irrevocably broken. In addition, legal separation also called bed and board divorce could potentially be another option for you at this time if you're not completely committed to getting a divorce. Even if you may feel like an outcast, it is important to be strong during this tough time.

Click here to learn about using divorce in bed and board.

I hope this clears up your question and helps you move forward with your research process. Give us a call if we can help you further.

Dan Exner, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image