– from Janice G. in Shorewood, WI

Question Details:

My husband and I were married for 20 years. We both worked jobs throughout our marriage, but I was the breadwinner and had a large retirement fund. During the divorce, the court divided my retirement fund in half. I want to appeal this as I feel there is no strong justification for this decision. Is it possible to appeal?

Family Law Attorney Response:

Thank you for your question.

It was discussed in Duffy v. Duffy, 132 Wis.2d 340, 392 N.W.2d 115 (Ct. App. 1986) that the trial court has complete discretion over the division of marital estates. However, whenever the court chooses to divide property, the court should articulate the reasons for its decision.

Give me a call so we can discuss the court’s reasoning and see if an appeal is a smart decision.

Trisha Festerling, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image