– from Phillip P. in Shorewood, WI

Question Details:

I paid child support the last seven years, however I neglected the last three payments as I had other financial obligations. My son turns 18 in four days, can I not make these last three payments as he is now considered an adult?

Family Law Attorney Response:

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, other financial obligations is not a strong answer to avoid past payments.

It was discussed in Howard v. Howard, 130 Wis.2d 206, 387 N.W.2d 96 (Ct. App. 1986) that a person is obligated to make child support payments whether those payments are currently accruing, past due, or both. If there is a failure to pay, the court can intercept checks; this also does not stop once a child reaches majority age, but rather when all payments are made.

If you have any more questions, give me a call.

Dan Exner, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image