Can I have visitation rights for my niece in Wisconsin? | Sterling Law Offices, S.C. Can I have visitation rights for my niece in Wisconsin? | Sterling Law Offices, S.C. global $post;
Call for Immediate Assistance - (414) 286-4741 Book My Consult

– from Louis W. in Vernon, WI

Question Details:

My sister filed for a divorce. I am very close to her daughter who is my godchild. I frequently visited and stayed over with my children, as my entire family loves her. My sister’s husband won full custody and placement of the child. The father does not want anyone from my sister’s family to see his daughter. Am I able to file an order for visitation rights?

Family Law Attorney Response:

In general, visitation rights are permitted to the parents, grandparents, great-grandparents or step-parents of children based off Wisconsin statute 767.245. However, there are some exceptions.

Click here to learn more about supervised visitation.

In the case of F.P.R. v. J.M. (In re Custody of D.M.M.) 128 Wis.2d 265, 382 N.W.2d 73 (Ct. App. 1985), an aunt received guardianship and then lost it. She requested visitation rights and the court did not allow her the rights. However, the court ruled that anyone with a parent-child relationship to a child could potentially have visitation rights, if it is in the best interest of the child and it is what the child wants.

Give me a call so we can set up a consultation and review the details of your scenario.

Dan Exner, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image

Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Average Rating

4.4 Out of 5
Based on 202 Reviews
star ratingstar ratingstar ratingstar ratinginterface

See all Reviews