Can a Wisconsin court enforce a support order in another state? | Sterling Law Offices, S.C. global $post;
Call for Immediate Assistance - (262) 221-8123 Book My Consult

– from Margaret S. in Lisbon, WI

Question Details:

I was married and divorced in California. During the divorce I moved to Wisconsin with our two children. I filed a summons and petitioned the court for registration of the divorce judgment. My ex-husband did not appear and did not respond to a show cause to explain why support should not be increased. He recently contacted me and said Wisconsin does not have jurisdiction on the matter. Can I have an increase for support enforced from a different state?

Family Law Attorney Response:

Just because the court accepted registration, enforcement is a separate issue.

In the case of Davanis v. Davanis 132 Wis. 2d 318, 392 N.W.2d 108 (Ct. App. 1986), a similar situation occurred where the wife had moved to Wisconsin from California and registered the divorce judgment. When the husband did not appear, she filed a show cause asking why support for their child should not be increased. The husband’s attorney notified the court in Wisconsin that they did not maintain jurisdiction over the support increase. The wife appealed and the court of appeals affirmed.

My advice is to contact a family law attorney to discuss the details of your child support case further. Representation is key in these matters.

Lawyer Jeff Hughes from Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
Jeff Hughes, J.D.

Managing Partner

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image