– from Justin I. in Wauwatosa, WI

Question Details:

I was involved in a court case where my ex and I were not represented by lawyers. We pretty much just made our case and left it to the judge. I appealed the decision, but the court of appeals upheld the trial court’s decision because I did not argue against the evidence my ex submitted during the trial. Can I seek a review by the supreme court if I do not agree with the methods used to determine the outcome of the case?

Family Law Attorney Response:

You may seek a review, but it is ultimately up to the supreme court whether or not to proceed with one. You mentioned that the court of appeals affirmed the trial court’s decision based on the fact that you did not dispute the evidence submitted during the original trial. Is that what they said? Or is that what you assume happened?

I ask because, in the case of State ex rel. K.L.H. v. A.P.O. (In re Paternity of T.A.H.) 144 Wis. 2d 668, 424 N.W.2d 420 (1988), a man sought a review by the supreme court over an affirmed decision by the court of appeals regarding a paternity suit. Because the alleged father did not contest the evidence of an HLA blood test during the trial, the supreme court dismissed the petition to review.

My advice is to contact a family law attorney to discuss the specifics of your case.

Dan Exner, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image