Can a grandparent request visitation rights in Wisconsin? | Sterling Law Offices, S.C. global $post;
Call for Immediate Assistance - (262) 221-8123 Book My Consult

– from Deborah S. in Bayside, WI

Question Details:

I am worried about my grandson and really want to be a part of his life. Due to my relationship with my son (his father) and daughter-in-law, I am no longer able to see him. Can I request visitations pursuant to section 767.245(1) of the Wisconsin Statutes?

Family Law Attorney Response:

You can request visitation, but you may be unsuccessful.

In the case of Van Cleve v. Hemminger 141 Wis. 2d 543, 415 N.W.2d 571 (Ct. App. 1987), a grandmother attempted to obtain custody rights under 767.245(4) section of the Wisconsin Statutes. The court dismissed her request on the grounds that no action affecting the family had been previously filed. The court of appeals affirmed. This is only an example and does not reflect the specifics of your case. I would suggest considering family counseling.

If these measures have been taken, contact an attorney. Perhaps something can be done.

Dan Exner, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image