Question Details:

Without going into too much detail, I was raised by my biological mother and stepfather. I used his last name, and he acknowledged me as his son. He passed away and left no will. Can I inherit property if I am not his biological son?

Family Law Attorney Response:

There are many factors that go into consideration before the court will render a final decision on the matter. Many things must be established first. Out of these determinations, the court will render a judgment. One of the primary determinations is best described in the case of Schneider v. Schneider (In re Estate of Schneider) 150 Wis. 2d 286, 441 N.W.2d 335 (Ct. App. 1989). In this case, the stepson was unable to provide sufficient evidence which established his rights as a non-marital child in regards to section 852.05(1). The son appealed, and the court of appeals affirmed. I advise you to contact a reputable family law attorney right away to review your case in depth.

Dan Exner, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image