Can a filed order protect me from contempt in Wisconsin? | Sterling Law Offices, S.C. global $post;
Call for Immediate Assistance - (414) 286-4741 Book My Consult

– from Joseph Y. in Shorewood, WI

Question Details:

The court wants to place me in contempt as I failed to make all my support payments. However, I recently sent in a stipulation that shows I plan to make payments in time. Will this bar the contempt?

Family Law Attorney Response:

Thank you for your question.

It was decided in Krueger v. Krueger, 133 Wis.2d 269, 395 N.W that, in order for a judgment or final order to bar a subsequent action, there must be not merely identification of subject matter but also of the cause of action. This means there has to be more than just a similar relation between the stipulation and order.

Give me a call so we can see if we avoid you from going into contempt.

Trisha Festerling, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image