Question Details:

My husband and I decided initially during our divorce that we would divide up the estate evenly, as both of us shared all of the property in our house for the last 15 years. However, I recently found proof that he purposely destroyed some of my personal property He claimed one of our kids accidentally broke it. Is there any recourse for me or am I just out of luck?

Family Law Attorney Response:

Give me a call to set up a consultation immediately so we can discuss this in more detail.

Based off the case of Hauge v. Hauge, 145 Wis.2d 600, 427 N.W.2d 154 (1988), it is established that trial courts can alter an equal property division if one of the parties intentionally squandered or destroyed marital property.

It is better to appeal the equal property division sooner rather than later.

Dan Exner, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image