– from Craig T. in Hales Corners, WI

Question Details:

The trial court ruled in my divorce that I must participate in mediation with a social worker in order to have custody and visitation rights. The court ruled that the social worker is responsible of my participation in this mediation. Is this allowed?

Family Law Attorney Response:

Thank you for your question, I believe the court does have the authority to allow a social worker to set up custody rights.

In the case of Biel v. Biel 114 Wis.2d 191, 336 N.W.2d 404 (Ct. App. 1983), the court reviewed Wisconsin statute 767.01, which allows the courts to have complete jurisdiction over any case regarding family law and ordering mediation with a social worker is consistent with this statute.

If you have any more questions, feel free to call.

Dan Exner, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image