– from Gregory H. in Farmington, WI

Question Details:

My ex-wife and I divorced seven years ago. She got custody of our children and the court ordered me to pay child support. All my payments are up to date, but now I want to get married to a woman who also has a child. I still want to make the payments, but I cannot afford to pay the current amount and support my new family. Can I request the courts to lower my child support?

Family Law Attorney Response:

I would like to know more details regarding your previous child support, as there may be critical information. Courts tend to award child support based off a uniform percentage of income and the number of children. However, this can change if one party becomes part of another. Extra expenses for a child is also another expense to think about apart from child support.

Click here for more affects on child support. 

In Hime v. Muir, the court of appeals said the original percentage standards were developed on the assumption of an intact family, not one that is apart. These standards can be unreasonable where a party is obligated to support multiple children in serial families.

Give me a call so we can go over more details and create an order for you to lower your support payments.

Dan Exner, J.D.

Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image