– from Donald M. in Elm Grove, WI

Question Details:

My wife was pregnant when I met her. I am not the biological father, but I have taken care of my wife's child for the last year. We were married and divorced in less than a year. I agreed in court to be responsible for the child, but now I changed my mind. My ex is already dating again, and I don't feel it is my place to stand as the child's father. Support orders have already been issued, but can I change my mind?

Family Law Attorney Response:

There is little I can do to answer this question with any amount of certainty without having the full details of the case. However, you can make a motion to appeal. This would be best left to an experienced family law attorney that can represent you in court. You should not attempt to represent yourself during the hearing. There are many things the court will consider when hearing your case, so leave it to the professionals.

In the case of State ex rel. M.L.B. v. D.G.H., 122 Wis. 2d 536, 363 N.W.2d 419 (1985) (Reversing 120 Wis. 2d 670, 353 N.W.2d 842 (Ct. App. 1984)), a man had entered into an agreement for support of his wife's child. However, he felt the support orders were excessive and appealed. The court of appeals affirmed the trial court's support orders. When he took it to the supreme court, it was reversed.

So yes, depending on the specifics of your case, you may be able to successfully appeal the support orders.

Lawyer Holly Mullin from Sterling Law Offices
Holly Mullin, J.D.
Family Law Attorney

lexis-nexis-image lawyers-image justia-image hg-image findlaw-image avvo-image