Donate to the Hurricane Harvey Cleanup
Houston, the fourth largest city in the United States, was hit by Hurricane Harvey as it reached category 4 on Friday, August 25th. More than 40 inches of water has flooded some areas and some locations received over 50 inches. As life threatening flooding continues, tens of thousands of people could be driven from their homes, and they need our help while moving forward through this crisis.
How You Can Help
Donations to reputable disaster-relief funds such as the Red Cross and Salvation Army help provide assistance to those affected by the storm and its aftermath. The fastest way to help is to text the word HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation directly to the Red Cross. Here are other options to help those in need. Also, https://www.spca.org/SPCA.org is putting out a call for homes to take in lost pets from the storm.
Watch Live Coverage about Hurricane Harvey
Avoiding Donation Scams
You can use the services above to check if a charity or disaster relief fund is legit or a scam. Here are some other tips.
- Be wary of emails and social media that post links to relief organizations you've never heard of.
- Be careful when people call to solicit you and watch out for scammers using similar names as established disaster-relief funds.
- Don't fall for fake rental listings that request deposits or credit check fees.
- Do not send or give cash donations.
Hurricane Harvey Evacuation Resources
- J.J. Watt, Houston Texans defensive lineman, donated $100,000 with a fundraising goal of $200,000.
- Robert Kraft, the owner of the New England Patriots, has donated $1,000,000. Source.
- Jensen Ackles, actor, has set up a fundraising goal of $100,000.
- Kevin Hart, actor, donated $25,000. (source)
- Chris Young, musician, has a goal to reach $500,000 through GoFundMe.
- United Airlines, corporation, 100k matching Bonus miles to customers who donate to the American Red Cross, Airlink, Operation USA, or AmeriCares from United’s fundraising page.
- PepsiCo, corporation, $1,000,000 donated. In addition, donating supplies, which includes purified drinking water.
- Walmart, corporation, $1,000,000 donated to multiple relief organizations.