– from Eric M. in Brown Deer, WI
I just got out of jail after being charged with a DUI. I blew a .20 and failed the field sobriety test. I really do not have a chance to beat this, so I am trying to figure out how to best go about this problem. I know this is going to cost me lots of money, I am just curious about how much over the next year. I am a college student and funds are tight.
Criminal Defense Attorney Response:
It sounds like you are trying to take this incident seriously, which is a great place to start.
This charge will be expensive and likely hard to beat. The following are the likely charges you will face over the next 12 to 18 months.
- Fines and Court Costs – $300 – $2500
- Attorney Fees – $2500
- Bail – $200 – $500
- DUI Driver's Class – $200 – $500
- Car Towing and Impounding – $250 – $500
- License Reinstatement – $95 – $150
- Car Ignition Interlock Device – $325+
- Increased Premiums (next 12 months) – $5000+
The financial costs of a DUI are significant. At a minimum your cost for a DUI if you hire a DUI lawyer will be $8500 over 12 months.If you do not hire an DUI lawyer you will save $2500, but will likely see higher fines as well as increased penalties.
Hope this helps. Let us know if we can do anything for you in this case.